Did you know that among busy lactating mothers and menopausal women there is an incredible bond of similar hair, face, and body skin concerns? It is the unspoken sisterhood of post-partum and post-menopausal women! And – the potential for new product development in these areas is exponential!
These groupings of women can relate to each other’s struggles and are seeking solutions to their common nettlesome matters. You may be surprised to learn that many of these shared concerns are not limited to just the face. A lot of similarities go on “down below” too!
Part of the changes are due to hormonal adjustments through the body and part are due to the life changing situation itself. Either way, below are a few interesting facts that the beauty industry can tune into and provide products to address these shared hormonal needs.
For women, pregnancy, and menopause can put their skin through the wringer. These hormonal changes affect collagen production which is essential for skin plumpness and elasticity. Pigment changes can make the face and parts of the body darker in colour. And a confused skin bouncing between being very dry and parched in some areas, then suddenly oily and acne flared overnight can be daunting.
Add hair changes and other body part concerns to the mix and one ends up a with a massive list of confusion on where and what to address first.
First, let’s start with similar skin conditions of the face that both post-partum and post-menopause can bring on:
- Dryness, flakiness, and itching
- Acne breakouts
Second, the skin on the body has similar concerns as listed above and additional concerns as listed below:
- Connective tissue loss
- Loss of elasticity
- Loss of firmness
Third, hair changes:
- Post pregnancy can cause hair loss or a change of hair texture. For example, naturally curly hair can go straight in sections of the head and vice versa.
- Post menopause can cause hair loss as well, particularly on the top and crown of the head.
Fourth, down below (vulva/vaginal) experiences similar changes too. Did you know that women suffer from the same vaginal dryness during stages of breastfeeding as postmenopausal women? These symptoms are related to oestrogen levels. The lack of oestrogen in women’s bodies after menopause and during breastfeeding can provoke vaginal dryness. For menopausal women, this dryness is generally identified as “atrophic vaginitis.”
- Vaginal dryness is a common side effect of nursing and it is completely normal.
- Vulva dryness, burning, itching, soreness, and pain may be experienced in both life stages.
- Women who experience atrophic changes post menopause may experience symptoms including vaginal dryness and irritation, as well as increased susceptibility to vulvovaginal trauma, vulval dermatitis, and lichen sclerosis.
Where are her purchasing interests?
According to Business Wire the global postpartum products market size is expected to reach USD 3.44 billion by 2028 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 6.4% from 2021 to 2028. However, these products include items outside of formulated personal care applications. At this writing, there is limited market research that breaks down the personal care products she’d like to purchase. Mom and baby brands do exist, however, a deep dive into her more personal needs would be helpful.
Concerning postmenopausal women, The Benchmarking Company surveyed 2,023 U.S. women about their menopausal changes; how they’re seeking relief, which beauty brands are speaking their language by offering products that work for them, and what they want next from brands.
Below are excerpts from their research:
|Her BEAUTY related issues post menopause:
60% loss of skin elasticity
58% more fine lines/wrinkles
52% dehydrated skin
51% unwanted facial hair
49% age spots/sunspots/skin discoloration
19% hormonal acne breakouts
|Issues she’d LIKE TO ADDRESS:
55% decreased sex drive
49% vaginal dryness
25% painful sex
16% change in vaginal odor
10% vaginal atrophy/thinning of vaginal walls
|Intimate care PRODUCTS SHE PURCHASES:
74% purchase intimate care products to address menopausal issues
51% vaginal lubricant
28% intimate toys
28% body wipes
27% vaginal body wipes
The Role of the Raw Material Supplier
What can suppliers do to help companies develop formulas that keep skin in optimum shape as women transition through these life stages?
- Research the physiological changes that both demographics experience during these changes. As an industry, and even in the medical field, there is limited research to the specific needs of the body changes as they relate to personal care items that women desire. This is a perfect white space for further exploration!
There are common skin concerns that happen in the post-partum and post-menopausal stages of life. It is important to know how women’s bodies function and what is normal, as well as what is not, in order to live as healthy a life as possible.
Note: Not all treatments are created equal. As in all cases, it is important to consult with a dermatologist about skin concerns. Suppliers aligning with dermatologists and obstetrician/gynaecologist or menopause specialists collaboratively can be a new frontier for our industry!
- Introduce raw materials for manufacturers and beauty product companies to incorporate technologies and ingredients into formulas to address the changes happening to their customer’s skin. It is a fantastic way to support women of all ages.
- Educate your customer. Suppliers can help clients design formulas to keep skin in optimum shape as they plough through these stages of life. Be ready for these big life transitions with advice and products that clients can understand and trust.
Need help on where to extend your mom-care or menopausal care brand?
Mothers and post-menopausal women want results for their changing skin. Building awareness and embracing opportunities in these fast-growing markets for personal care products for postpartum or postmenopausal women is essential.
BeautyEdge LLC can help ensure your product and marketing strategies align with the latest research. Partner with BeautyEdge, we can help you identify and capitalize on the growth potential of this market segment today!
Enjoyed this article? Get more by subscribing to our newsletter!
Feeling inspired to see ingredients and trends in action?
Then why not visit one of the in-cosmetics events around the world?