By Silvia Lourenço
According to the survey “Beauty Habits” carried out in March 2017 by Mintel in Brazil, 45% of the surveyed women have reported to apply their make-up at the last stage of their beauty routine before leaving home. It could mean that women look for the longest effect possible, or fear ruining their make-up if applied at an earlier stage.
Some of the benefits that could make the difference for the consumer when choosing between one brand and the other are: long-lasting make-up, that does not stain or is waterproof. When surveyed about which product they use in most mornings, 53% of the women reported to wear lipstick, lip gloss or lip liner. 44% of the interviewees claimed to wear mascara, eye liner and/or eye shadow, and 34% to wear concealer, foundation, compact powder and/or blush.
According to the “Colour Cosmetics – Latin America” report, also by Mintel, the colour cosmetics segment will grow over the next years in Brazil. In 2014, the retail market value for the segment was 6.41 billion of Brazilian Reais. In 2016, the market expanded to 6.82 billion; the segment is expected to reach 6.97 billion in 2017 and 7.68 billion of Brazilian Reais in sales. The retail market value growth in local currency was 8.0% in 2014, and 2.8% in 2016. It is estimated to grow 2.2% in 2017 and 5.9% in 2019.
In US dollars, the colour cosmetics retail market value in Brazil was 3,031.9 billion of US dollars in 2011. In 2014 the market value was 2,728.0 billion of US dollars. In 2017, it is estimated to hit 2,145.1 billion, and it expected to reach 2,152.9 billion of US dollars in 2019. In percentage, the segment growth was 13.3% in 2011; -0.7% retraction in 2014, and it is set to return to growth in 2017 with positive prospects of increasing around 9.7% when compared to the previous year. The projected growth for 2019 is 2.1%.
The colour cosmetics retail market spend per capita of the Brazilian population was 13.454 US dollars in 2014, 9.4866 in 2016, it is set to grow to 10.328 in 2017, and estimated to reach 10.756 in 2021.
The retail market spend as a proportion of the Brazilian GDP (Gross Domestic Product) was 0.11110 in 2014, 0.10888 in 2016, the outlook is around 0.10520 in 2017, and 0.10243 in 2021.
The Brazilian retail market segmentation for the colour cosmetics sector was 6.6370 billion of Brazilian Reais in 2015, of which 1.7496 billion in lip products; 1.7030 billion in eye products; 1.6116 billion in nail product; and 1.5728 billion of Brazilian Reais in face products. In 2016 the market value for the segment reached 6.8230 billion of Brazilian Reais, of which 1.8160 billion in lip products; 1.7557 billion in eye products; 1.6487 billion in nail products, and 1.6026 billion in face products.
Overview: Annual Growth Rate
- Over the last 5 years, the average annual growth rate in the colour cosmetics segment was 5.0%.
- Over the next 5 years average annual growth is expected to be 6.0%.
Company’s Retail market share by value in the colour cosmetics segment in Brazil.
- Avon Products Inc. – 20.6% of the market share in 2015, 20.2% in 2016.
- Botica Comercial Farmaceutica Ltda – 13.3% of the market share in 2015, 12.7% in 2016.
- Natura Cosméticos S.A. – 11.4% of the market share in 2015, 11.2% in 2016.
- Coty, Inc – 9.3% of the market share in 2015, 9.2% in 2016.
- The L’Oréal Group – 9.8% of the market share in 2015, 9.2% in 2016.
- Hinode S.A. – 1.3% of the market share in 2015, 3.8% in 2016.
- Vult Comercio de Cosmeticos Ltda – 2.6% of the market share in 2015, 3.4% in 2016.
- Grupo Silvio Santos (Jequiti) – 2.7% of the market share in 2015, 2.8% in 2016.
- Mundial S.A – 2.6% of the market share in 2015, 2.5% in 2016.
- The Esteé Lauder Companies Inc. – 2.1% of the market share both in 2015 and 2016.
- Others – 24.3% of the market share in 2015, 22.9% in 2016.
Colour Cosmetics. About the research process.
Market definition/Retail: This market covers eye, face, lip and nail colour cosmetics for women. It excludes nail varnish remover, medicated products including lip salves and cosmetics hardware such as false eye lashes and nails. Market value is based on sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer and selective outlets.
- Eyes: This comprises brow, lash/mascaras, liner/pencils and shadow products.
- Face: This comprises blushes, bronzers, concealers, foundation, powder and primers.
- Lips: This comprises colour/gloss and liners.
- Nails: This comprises nail polish/varnish.
Exclusions: Nail varnish remover, medicated products including lip salves, cosmetics hardware.
Article produced in September, 2017. Source: Mintel
Survey and research: “Beauty Habits” and “Colour Cosmetics – Latin America – Mintel Market Sizes”.