By Silvia Lourenço
Despite the economic crises and the following downturn displayed by several economy segments over the last years in Brazil, a few sectors within the beauty products retail market value have kept a steady growth, and currently hold an optimistic forecast for the next years. This is the case for the bath products retail market value which reached 2.7486 billion of Brazilian Reais in 2011. In 2015, the segment hit 4.5450 billion, and it is forecast to reach 6.3610 billion of Brazilian Reais in sales by 2020. The retail market value growth in local currency was 8.7% in 2011; 12.4% in 2015, and it is forecast to reach 6.1% by 2020.
In US Dollars, the body care retail market value in Brazil was 1,645.9 billion on 2011. In 2014, the retail sales reached 1,720.7 billion, and it is expected to hit 1,718.2 billion of US Dollars in 2020. In percentage, the segment’s growth was 14.6% in 2011; holding a retraction of -1.0% in 2014, and it is forecast to grow 2.4% by 2020.
The retail market spend per capita for the Brazilian population in the body care segment was 8.3379 US Dollars in 2011, 8.4860 in 2014, and the outlook for 2020 is to reach 8.1056 US Dollars.
The retail market spend as a proportion of the Brazilian GDP (Gross Domestic Product) was 0.062994 in 2011, 0.070078 in 2014 and it is expected to reach 0.07889 in 2020.
The body care retail market segmentation by value in Brazil added up to 4,043.6 billion of Brazilian Reais in 2014, divided in a 3,586.2 billion revenue in body products, 302.0 million of Brazilian Reais in hand and nail products, and 155.4 million in foot products. In 2015, the retail market segmentation by value increased to 4,545.0 billion of Brazilian Reais, divided in a 4,041.6 billion revenue in body products, 338.2 million in hand and nail products, and 165.2 million in foot products.
Overview: The annual growth rate
- In the last 5 years the average annual growth rate for the body care segment in Brazil was 13.4%.
- During the next 5 years the forecast is that the average annual growth rate will be 6.9%.
Company retail market share in the body care segment in Brazil.
- Natura Cosméticos S.A. – 25.7% of the market share in 2014, 24.8% in 2015.
- Botica Comercial Farmaceutica Ltda – 19.4% of the market share in 2014, 19.5% in 2015.
- Hypermarcas SA – 14.2% of the market share in 2014, 16.0% in 2015.
- Beiersdorf AG – 9.8% of the market share in 2014, 9.9% in 2015.
- Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc – 6.4% of the market share in 2014, 6.1% in 2015.
- Avon Products Inc – 5.7% of the market share in 2014, 5.4% in 2015.
- Others – 18.8% of the market share in 2014, 18.3% in 2015.
Body care products. About the research process.
Retail market definition: The research was carried out within the retail market that covers hand, foot and general body care for women & men. Market value is based on sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer. It includes mass market and prestige lines but excludes the professional sector, including beauty salons, to the consumer.
- Body: This comprises general body: exfoliates/scrubs; moisturisers/hydrators; and slimming/anti-cellulite/firming products.
- Foot: This comprises cream/balms/wipes.
- Hand / Nail: This comprises hand moisturisers and anti-ageing products; and nail nourishes, cuticle creams/ridge fillers.
Inclusions: This should be through both mass market channels (e.g. hypermarkets drugstore chains) and selective/prestige (e.g. department stores, perfumeries).
Exclusions: Depilatories and bleaches, talcum powder, nail polish/varnish/cosmetics/colour, foot deodorants/talc/insoles. Medicated. Products specifically for babies. Sun care even if they have moisturisers. Massage/calming oils.
Article produced in September 2017. Source: Mintel. “Body Care – Latin America – Mintel Market Sizes”.