By Silvia Lourenço
The colour cosmetics segment in Chile has been going through a sound growth over the last years. According to the “Colour Cosmetics – Latin America – 2017” research by, the country, which currently holds a population slightly bigger than 18 million people, will experience growth in this segment in the next years.
In 2011, the retail market value of the segment in the country was 105.4614 billion of Chilean pesos. In 2015, the market value reached as far as 158.1771 billion, and the forecast for 2020 is that the segment will hit 234.9981 billion of Chilean pesos in sales. The retail market value growth in the local currency was 8.1% in 2011, 5.7% in 2015, and the outlook for 2020 is a 9.4% growth.
The colour cosmetics retail market value in US Dollars in Chile 218.0441 million in 2011. In 2015 there was a retraction when compared to the previous year and the sales hit 241.8351 million of US dollars. As from 2016, the market value in US dollars has grown again, the forecast for 2017 is that it will 271.3023 million, and the outlook for 2019 is to reach 308.830 million of dollars. In percentage, the growth in the segment was 22.9% in 2011, retraction of 6.0% in 2015, growth of 9.0% in 2017, and it is expected to reach 7.6% in 2019.
The colour cosmetics retail market spend per capita of the Chilean population was 12.68 US dollars in 2011, 13.47 in 2015, it is estimated to reach 14.82 in 2017, and expected to hit 16.51 in 2019.
The retail Market spend as a proportion of the Chilean GDP (Gross Domestic Product) was 0.086501 in 2011, 0.099709 in 2015, and the forecast for 2019 is around 0.10886.
The Chilean colour cosmetics retail Market segmentation by value was 146.8026 billion of Chilean pesos in 2014, of which 49.8080 billion were in eye products, 46.1895 billion in lip products, 38.5153 billion in face products, and 12.2898 billion in nail products. In 2015 the retail market segmentation by value reached 158.1771 billion of Chilean pesos, of which 52.9893 were in the eye product segment, 50.3003 billion in lip product, 41.4424 billion in face product, and 13.4451 billion of Chilean pesos in nail products.
Overview: Annual Growth Rate
- Over the last 5 years the average annual growth rate for the colour cosmetics market segmentation in Chile was 10.7%.
- During the next 5 years the estimate for the average annual growth rate is 8.7%
The company retail market share by value in the colour cosmetics segment in Chile
- The L’Oréal Group – 25.8% of the market share in 2014, 26.3% in 2015
- Belcorp Corporation – 13.9% of the market share in 2014, 14.2% in 2015
- Esteé Lauder Companies Inc. – 9.8% of the market share in 2014, 10.1% in 2015
- Natura Cosméticos S.A. – 7.7% of the market share in 2014, 7.9% in 2015
- Avon Products Inc. – 7.4% of the market share in 2014, 6.2% in 2015
- Cosmética Nacional S.A – 4.6% of the market share in 2014, 4.7% in 2015
- Laboratorio Petrizzio S.A. – 4.5% of the market share in 2014, 4.6% in 2015
- Inversiones Cosméticas Ltda. – 1.3% of the market share both in 2014 and 2015
- Cosnova Gmbh. – 1.2% of the market share both in 2014 and 2015
- Oriflame Cosmetics S.A. – 1.1% of the market share both in 2014 and 2015
- Others – 22.7% of the Market share in 2014, 22.4% in 2015
Colour Cosmetics. About the research process
This market covers eye, face, lip and nail colour cosmetics for women. It excludes nail varnish remover, medicated products including lip salves and cosmetics hardware such as false eye lashes and nails. Market value is based on sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer and selective outlets.
Eyes: This comprises brow, lash/mascaras, liner/pencils and shadow products
Face: This comprises blushes, bronzers, concealers, foundation, powder and primers
Lips: This comprises colour/gloss and liners
Nails: This comprises nail polish/varnish
Exclusions: Nail varnish remover, medicated products including lip salves, cosmetics hardware
Article produced in august 2017
Source: Mintel, “Colour Cosmetics – Latin America – Mintel Market Sizes”