There’s so much innovation happening in the beauty world. Now that we’re finally back in real life for tradeshows and events, the new technology being offered is encouraging and inspiring.
I’ve selected a few favorites to share:
Clariant’s Plant Milking technology is an innovative and sustainable plant cultivation method:
- The process uses the richest part of the plant: the
- Plants are grown in an aeroponic (soilless) culture. Root exudation is a non-destructive process that “milks” the same plants several times a year.
- The process allows exploration of unusual plant species, difficult-to-access plant parts, and rare compounds, while preserving biodiversity.
- A highly controlled environment stimulates the plants to produce targeted molecules in higher quantities: this enhances the phytochemical profiles.
- The desired ingredients are more concentrated than in a “natural” environment.
- The process provides greenhouse farming advantages, which means protection from aggressors and extreme environments.
There are numerous benefits of the Plant Milking technology:
- It’s eco-friendly: there is biocontrol, recycled water is used, few plant resources are required.
- There is no plant destruction during harvest.
- Plant capacities are optimized.
- The process permits full traceability from seed to active ingredient.
Biocogent’s DermaPhage® technology is worth exploring and understanding.
Phages are found wherever bacteria are present. They are natural microorganisms that are harmless to humans and only interested in targeting bacteria. An imbalance of these phages on our bodies is associated with obesity, bowel disorders, acne and other diseases.
Biocogent’s products are infused with a unique combination of three phages that target specific bacteria in the skin microbiome. Grounded in a discovery made more than a century ago, these phages have a phenomenal safety profile, coupled with clinically proven efficacy. Phages are ubiquitous in the environment and recognized as the most abundant biological agent on earth. Biocogent’s technology offers a targeted approach to dealing with a variety of different skin conditions. Acne is Biocogent’s first target, to be followed by other types of treatment.
This approach to target the bacteria contributing to blemish flare-ups is a game changer.
- exist naturally on our skin
- are sustainably sourced and naturally occurring
- have been part of nature for billions of years
- are harmless to humans and have no side effects
- are very effective in targeting certain bacterial skin problems
Taiki Bōshi Beauty Products are instantly dissolving waterless products made from nano-spun polymers.
- Electrospun nanofibers are made using water soluble polymers, like Hyaluronic Acid.
- The nanofibers, which are 100-1000x smaller than an average human hair, are easily dissolvable with a few drops of water.
- Efficacious levels of active ingredients can be added: Hyaluronic or Salicylic Acid, Niacinamide and Vitamin C to name a few.
- Minimal fillers allow for concentrated, high performing formulas for better delivery of actives and product effectiveness.
- Removal of water allows for preservative-free formulations.
- The product can take various forms such as small patches or “pillows.”
Taiki Boshi Technology
KDC/One has a collection of remarkable, surprising and delightful product textures for skincare.
I selected formats that are particularly appealing in warm summer weather.
- Moisture Burst Gel Cream Facial Moisturizer: an all in one, lightweight gel cream with a cooling finish. The skin feel is watery and refreshing, leaving a slight radiance.
- Refreshing Body Sorbet: This cooling, translucent gel looks like sorbet, and feels energizing and refreshing on the skin. It absorbs quickly, leaving a light satin skin feel, with no stickiness or residue.
- Satin Touch Body Lotion: This silky, hydrating, lightweight lotion is serum like. It is fast absorbing, leaving a light, moisturizing sensation without any tacky residue.
- Jelly Body Wash: This amusing, wiggly, jello-like texture body wash is a real surprise in the shower! It transforms from a dense jelly to a squishable layer of foam. Travel friendly, space saving and just fun to use!
Jelly Body Wash
Obviously, these beautiful textures can be customized with fragrance, color and key skincare ingredients. The sensory experience provides a great reminder that innovation has many forms.
This is a sampling of some of the news suppliers are bringing to market. These examples cover:
- concentrated, sustainable plant-based ingredients
- an anhydrous delivery system for concentrated ingredients
- a side-effect-free, efficacious acne treatment
- sensorially rich product textures
It’s an exhilarating time for the beauty industry. Growth is forecast for approximately 6% annually in the coming years. New distribution channels are popping up in unexpected places. AI is here and redefining the business.
Don’t miss out!
Enjoyed this article? Get more by subscribing to our newsletter!
Feeling inspired to see ingredients and trends in action?
Then why not visit one of the in-cosmetics events around the world?