Innovative multi-functional ingredients are the way of the future: not only do they enable manufacturers to carry fewer materials on the warehouse floor, they also enable time saving at the dispensing and manufacturing steps. However, the quest for ‘more’ from ‘less’ should not come at the expense of stability, aesthetics or performance, as consumers now more than ever want better performance, better shelf life and better skin feel than ever before! These clever multi-functionals therefore also impart one or more of these formulation enhancing properties to make them super desirable in the formulations of the future. Some of the exciting releases we’ve seen of late include:
- An innovative multi-functional material that enables the creation of formulations with functionality so different to others on the market – from oily gels, oils-to-milks, and premium sensory emulsions, this amazing ingredient also offers advanced and lasting hydration to formulations!
- Emulsifiers that deliver premium sensory AND hydration – stabilise your emulsion, create the perfect skin feel AND improve hydration with 1 simple ingredient!
- A natural lecithin derivative that not only stabilises emulsions from sprays through to creams but also forms a protective barrier on the skin to protect against TEWL, provide instant moisturising and acts as a suitable delivery agent for pigments and sunscreens
- A polymeric o/w emulsifier that can not only tolerate high lipid loading but also provides a rich, cushiony skin feel from even low lipid content to enable the creation of budget products with premium skin feel with a fantastic shelf life
- Multi-functional actives:
- One that can instantly illuminate the skin making it appear whiter and brighter, while providing anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and UV absorbance benefits
- Organic materials providing radiance and brightening whilst enhancing hydration, anti-ageing and skin firming benefits
- A natural extract that reduces TEWL, provides anti-ageing benefits, boosts SPF and can be used for hair products as well!
In today’s competitive environment, it’s not only the price that matters, but the story as well. Multi-functional ingredients can also be used to boost the marketing opportunities of a product whilst keeping the price competitive. Get the most out of your Multi-Functional Materials: don’t miss out on crucial learning to take your formulations into the future!
Belinda will present two Formulation Lab training sessions and two Marketing Trends educational sessions at the upcoming in-cosmetics Asia, 3-5 November 2-15, BITEC, Bangkok. Register here for free entry into the event.
Belinda Carli is the Director of the Institute of Personal Care Science and the Official Technical Advisor to the in-cosmetics group. The leaders in on-line/distance education, IPCS provides training in Cosmetic Formulation, Brand Management and Regulatory Affairs around the world. Belinda and the IPCS team are at all in-cosmetics events, presenting and exhibiting to support the personal care Industry. Come visit Belinda and the team at the IPCS booth and impress us with your innovations at the next in-cosmetics exhibition! Visit www.personalcarescience.com.au or email@example.com for more information.